Apr 16, 2009

Scarlett Johansson slams tabloids on celebrity diet and fitness reports

When the weather gets warm, celebrity magazines start using more diet headlines to grab potential readers' attention. It's a tactic that is used without fail each bikini season. However, I have always been reluctant to believe what these magazines report. Scarlett Johannsen finally spoke up this week, proving my intuition was right.

Johannsen wrote a peice for the Huffington Post this week titled, "The Skinny," refuting claims that she has taken up some sort of extreme diet and exercise routine to get into "superhero shape."

Claims have been made that I've been on a strict workout routine regulated by co-stars, whipped into shape by trainers I've never met, eating sprouted grains I can't pronounce and ultimately losing 14 pounds off my 5'3" frame. Losing 14 pounds out of necessity in order to live a healthier life is a huge victory. I'm a petite person to begin with, so the idea of my losing this amount of weight is utter lunacy. If I were to lose 14 pounds, I'd have to part with both arms. And a foot.

She goes on to say that she is "frustrated with the irresponsibility of the tabloid media" and that it's "reckless and dangerous" for publications to sell stories telling of crash diets or miracle workout that are completely fabricated. Scarlett has always been and advocate for healthy body image and this article is very well written and totally worth reading to your daughter or sharing with friends.

I asked celebrity trainer Valerie Water (who has trained Jennifer Garner and Jessica Biel) whether or not tabloid stories are ever truthful when talking about a celebrity weight loss or fitness program. She said that usually when there is a magazine spread, the entire workout cannot be included as the result of page space.

For a real account of what it takes to look like Scarlet Johannsen from the horses mouth she says that when she is working, her workout and diet regimens are very different. Something that we don't notice because when she's not in films, we only see her pictures in magazines where they usually use photoshop.

Once filming is completed, I'll no longer need to rehash the 50 ways to lift a dumbbell, but I'll commit to working out at least 30 minutes a day and eating a balanced diet of fruit, vegetables and lean proteins.

I was relieved that her workout and diet seemed normal and attainable for normal people.

Eating healthy and getting fit is about commitment, determination, consistency and the dedication to self-preservation. While I've never been considered a gym rat, I have, in fact, worked up a sweat in the name of cardio before, and although I enjoy a grilled cheese as much as the next person, I combine the not-so-good foods I crave with an all-around balanced diet.

And before you go on to say, "If I had a personal trainer, I'd look that good too," Scarlet has one last bit of advice for you:

Pull ups, crunches, lunges, squats, jumping jacks, planks, walking, jogging and push ups are all exercises that can be performed without fancy trainers or gym memberships. I've realized through this process that no matter how busy my life may be, I feel better when I take a little time to focus on staying active.

No comments: